Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Online Dating is Exhausting

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

It's been about four months now that I've tried online dating. I've received approximately 200 messages and went on five dates, one of them being a second date with the same person. And I'm over it. I don't know what it is but the mere thought of communicating with someone through OkCupid message makes me ill. Frankly, I would rather take my chances finding someone at a hotel lounge or Trader Joe's. At least then I won't be bombarded with pink, blinking instant messages asking me "how are you?" or "how's your day going?" like I've known that person for years, instead of three seconds.

When I originally decided to try out online dating, I thought that it would give me the opportunity to meet someone outside my small Hollywood circle. Besides from being a good conversation starter, dating online would also force me out of my comfort zone and introduce me to different people that I wouldn't have had thought twice about before. Given, OkCupid did do this for me.

Turns out though, it didn't turn out to be a good thing. To be fair, I did spend an entire night hanging out with Shaun White because of OkCupid (it took me half of the night to finally figure out who he was), but after the elusiveness of that wore off, I realized I didn't have much in common with my actual date.

Here's what I don't like about online dating: I don't like skipping the initial meet-cute— the chance to reach for the same box of chocolate-covered almonds at the same time at the grocery store, or spark up conversation at a unlikely place, like a waiting room or bus stop. I don't like thinking that I would have to explain to people that we met online, rather than an actual, substantial location. I felt robbed of romance.

And I guess I could have handled getting over that after time, but I also hated that once I did go on a date with someone, everything felt too rushed. Half of me contributes this to the fact that OkCupid is mostly used as a hookup website, but everything about the entire process seemed to be on fast forward. Forget the gradual ritual of getting to know a new person— a complete stranger could now turn to your lover pretty much overnight. It was almost like going up to someone and saying, "Hi, my name is Lisa, what's your name? I think you're cute, so let's go out...Awesome, now that that's over, wanna spend every weekend together and in the meantime we can text sweet nothings to each other in the meantime? I know that we've only just met, but can I call you my boyfriend now? I'm sorry, but what's your name again?"

As someone who is a notorious commitment-phobe, this terrified me. I once had a guy who managed to introduce himself, get my number, schedule a date, and explain his expectations all within a day. It was too much. I know that it's online dating, but does that mean we have to sacrifice the natural chemistry? Finding out how a person works— their individual quirks, pet peeves, likes and dislikes is my favorite part of any relationship, and it most certainly doesn't happen after a few hours and a couple of drinks at a bar. Instead of getting to know someone and then developing feelings for them, I felt like it was reversed in online dating. It wasn't organic anymore, it was forced.

Not to mention that I feel like there is probably something inherently wrong with judging a person by a percentage that some Internet widget says determines how much of a match we are. If I am going to start dating someone that I didn't already know beforehand, I don't want to my first impression of him to be through a profile that is inevitably geared towards one-night stands and consistent hookups. I want it to be based on interpersonal communication, and the bare essentials— if he's physically attractive, not his photo, or whether he smells good, if he makes me laugh and laughs at my jokes in turn. I miss the days where I get butterflies in my stomach from an exchange of smiles or a cute comment. I can't get that kind of giddy feeling from some choppy compliment given to me and probably 30 other girls on the interwebs. It's not genuine or believable.

That said, I think it's about time to throw in the towel and just take my chances the old fashioned way— chance meetings. Who knows, maybe I'll get bored again and try speed dating, or some new app that sets me up on blind dates in the L.A. area. Besides, Minday Kaling didn't even start dating until senior year in college— she decided that her career in her 20's was more important, and I am inclined to agree. I'd much rather be a writer for a show like The Office by the time I'm 24 any day besides waiting around for the right man to message me on OkCupid— sorry not sorry!


16 comments:

  1. The strength of your main photo (especially how appealing it looks at a small size) will determine how much your profile gets viewed. It's very important to take this to heart when choosing your main photo. It HAS to look GOOD at a small size.

    More options for online dating are Dejtingsajt, Hitta Sex Kontakt, Knullkontakt and Sex Dejting.

    It has to make her want to click further to read your profile. If you don't use a profile photo that she will feel curious to click... all the profile writing that you do won't count for much!

    Click for free sign up
    Sex Kontakt
    Sex Romans

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUCK NMCI!!! I hate how they keep blocking web sites. I can understand some, but blocking fedex.com?! Fuck you corporate faggots.
    start dating site

    ReplyDelete
  3. Online dating is not only one side of the things, but both the aspects have their existence. People joining these websites are needed to consider all the factors before commencing anything or before thinking to find their date online itself through these websites. Behaving properly and going through all protocols will make it easy and possible to find the best match through these online dating websites, but sometime it becomes hectic as well for the girls. Having patience is highly needed to get success over these websites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Online dating is such a great way for the gathering people. The entire spending the online dating sites of the common finding relationships.
    Business Owner Dating

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it's a good point of views and it's all effective. Thanks for sharing this noce post.Interracial Dating

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. Thanks for sharing this useful information.
    Free dating sites
    totally free dating sites
    100 free online dating
    free single dating
    free online dating

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey your blog is cool. I read a few posts and I liked them.

    I met my partner here

    http://www.angelreturn.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A number of productive on-line chemical analysis story plague cyberspace. many couples created on-line testimonies on however they met and the way they finished up along. the web chemical analysis stories vary. These on-line chemical analysis stories function inspi
    http://www.doglovers.dating/

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hello Guys some days ago i found a real free dating site.It is 100% secure.Mostly Online dating sites and there services are fake.But i have registered in a datingsites1.tk site where mostly people interact with girls for there personal relationship. That is why i'm sharing with you. what are you waiting for?
    So enjoy
    free dating

    ReplyDelete
  10. Online dating or Internet dating is a personal introductory system whereby individuals can find and contact each other over the Internet to arrange a date, usually with the objective of developing a personal, romantic, or sexual relationship

    Tedy Munter
    4282 Hillside Street
    Cave Creek, AZ 85331
    480-488-4640
    tedymunter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello admin,
    Just glad to know of it, i need it too much really gorgeous online dating and love.I know something information about Online Dating, Relationship. You may check it out. I hope that it will equally help you.
    Best Regards to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish to show thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular trouble.As a result of checking through the the net and meeting techniques that were not productive, I was thinking my life was done.
    _________________________________
    Seeking woman

    ReplyDelete