Wednesday, March 20, 2013

10 Women to Celebrate

So in case you haven't heard, March is Women's History Month. Woop woop! I'm a little late on International Women's Day (March 8), but I decided to compile a list of 10 women that I personally think should be celebrated and rejoiced for a full 31 days (and hopefully the other 334 days too).

Authored by Margaret Sanger. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

1. Margaret Sanger: Or in other words, contraception's Mother Teresa who brought Planned Parenthood to fruition. So every time you pop that pill or celebrate your sexual libido, thank Margaret.

 Photo via Wikimedia Commons

2. Hillary Rodham Clinton: Guess who might be the first woman President come 2016? It sure isn't Sarah Palin, I'm telling you that. And even if she isn't President, Hillary still made a stellar Secretary of State.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

3. Eve Ensler: As a former Vagina Monologues director and cast member, Eve Ensler and her global movement to end sexual harassment and assault will forever live on in my mind. Also, what other monologue am I going to rattle off in my brain when I go to the gynecologist besides "My Angry Vagina"?

Drool. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

4. Jennifer Lawrence: She won her first Academy Award at 22 years old (the second-youngest to ever win an Oscar in that category), plays the badass heroine Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, and is America's new sweetheart. Jack Nicholson loves her and so does everyone else. She has just the right amount of spunk and honest wittiness that Hollywood is missing.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

5. Pink: I mean...homegirl has been true to herself since the 90's. Don't tell me you don't start singing whenever "So What," "Don't Let Me Get Me" and "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" come on the radio. They are catchy, full of sass and has this crass kind of humor that you can't help but appreciate in pop music. Did I mention she just doesn't give a shit about what anyone thinks?

Photo via Wikimedia Commons. 
6. Tina Fey: Queen of comedy, and general boss lady who somehow juggled being a cast member on SNL, a mother, a writer, and a producer of her very own show, 30 Rock. I someday wish to be half as spectacular as you are.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

7. Mindy Kaling: As we all know, my personal hero. Way to let me know that I can write my own role and be responsible for my own destiny, Mindy. You inspire me and every other non-stick-figure Asian trying to make it out in Hollywood.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
8. Oprah: She's Oprah...do I even need to give a reason?

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
9. Ellen Degeneres: The only person who I suspect will take Oprah's place whenever she dies (which may not actually ever happen). Who doesn't love Ellen besides the religious? And even then, they are probably pissed that they can't like her. She's managed to set a standard of talk-show comedy and activism that no one has ever been able to mimic.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

10. Gloria Steinem: The mother of feminism and all her glory. Bless her for her cutting-edge journalism, for her political efforts in the 70's, for founding Ms. Magazine, and for pushing the envelope in the women's liberation movement. Without you, second-wave feminism would not be the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment