Friday, February 1, 2013

Wise words from F. Scott Fitzgerald

Photo by Wikimedia Commons


It's become standard that every day my BFF from NC and I will call each other to complain about the tedious process of applying to jobs, the hard knock life of a 20-something-year-old, and how unfair it is that no one wants to hire us. We spend the days sending each other the latest humorous thing we've managed to insert into our cover letters, like "You can't judge me by just this 8.5 and 11 inch paper; I'm WAY better in person," and "Not only will I build your image in the community, but I'll look fab while doing it."

Or my personal favorite: "I know what you're thinking– that yes, I am the perfect person for the job, but there is no way you can afford me. But I'm not in it for the money– well, I do need to pay my rent, but money it isn't the most important thing...The fact that you're minutes from my house is a big plus– and you'll never have to worry that I'll be late! So Let's talk soon."

And you wonder why we haven't heard back from these companies, right?

I was on the brink of having a meltdown the other day, when she sent me something that she ran across in her grad school textbook. Ironically, it was actually something that made me feel better and I'll share it with you now:


In 1933, renowned author F. Scott Fitzgerald ended a letter to his 11-year-old daughter, Scottie, with a list of things to worry about, not worry about, and simply think about. It read as follows.

Things to worry about:

Worry about courage
Worry about cleanliness
Worry about efficiency
Worry about horsemanship

Things not to worry about: 

Don’t worry about popular opinion
Don’t worry about dolls
Don’t worry about the past
Don’t worry about the future
Don’t worry about growing up
Don’t worry about anybody getting ahead of you
Don’t worry about triumph
Don’t worry about failure unless it comes through your own fault
Don’t worry about mosquitoes
Don’t worry about flies
Don’t worry about insects in general
Don’t worry about parents
Don’t worry about boys
Don’t worry about disappointments
Don’t worry about pleasures
Don’t worry about satisfactions

Things to think about: 

What am I really aiming at? 
How good am I really in comparison to my contemporaries in regard to:

(a) Scholarship
(b) Do I really understand about people and am I able to get along with them? 
(c) Am I trying to make my body a useful instrument or am I neglecting it? 

With dearest love,

Daddy

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment