Tuesday, December 11, 2012

So LA: My 5 Favorite Coffee shops

As I up until just now was unemployed for a bit and thus had nothing to do, I have become a frequent member of coffee shops across town. Seriously, they should be considered my new work place. Who needs a cubicle and a desktop computer when you can dabble across Los Angeles and get a fresh cup of coffee every time?

Plus it's a great place to people watch. Here are my reviews of some of the best coffee shops that I've encountered thus far:

1. Audrey Cafe (Hollywood)



Quaint but classy, this cafe is for all Audrey Hepburn lovers who want great coffee and a nice atmosphere. Even though it is right off of Hollywood Boulevard, the place is not as touristy as others, and also offers a nice selection of sandwiches, salads and soups for lunch. When you walk in, there is a whole wall dedicated to black and white photos of Audrey Hepburn and it constantly echoes crooning ballads from Old Hollywood.

One of my first days in Los Angeles, an old man walked in here and promptly asked me if I was writing the "next great screenplay." If only.

I go here when I'm feeling classy and refined. 

2. Bru Coffeebar (Los Felix)

A bit pretentious and reserved for coffee snobs who are willing to pay $7 for a cup of coffee. That having said, the place is very simple, is two-stories and littered with chairs and tables. I'm convinced everyone goes here to write their next screenplay, blog or what have you.

I go here when I need to get out of Hollywood and want to admire good-looking men in horn-rimmed glasses. 

3. 10 Forward Coffee & Tea Lounge (Hollywood)

For some unknown reason, this is one of my very favorites. I think it might be because of the barista, who I talked to on and off during my first visit there, and who gave me two punches on the frequent buyer card instead of one. Because it is in the heart of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, however, you do tend to get a few randos walk in.

Some guy with matted hair and reeked of week-old piss came in once for example, and asked me for some money really quickly before the store owner told him to get out. Also the chairs are a bit rickety and uncomfortable, but they still make the best Spanish Latte I've ever had.

I go here when I want to people watch. 

4. Bourgeois Pig (Franklin Village)

Inside the "trunk" of the tree. 


There is a tree house inside. Really, that is all I need to say. This place is like stepping into an scene from Lord of the Rings. At first it seems like your standard coffeeshop with mismatched chairs and worn, faded colors on the walls. But when you go in the back room, there is a freaking tree house lined with twinkle lights, a fake owl and hidden, random little nooks between branches. Last time I went, I was sitting inside of the "trunk," where they managed to fit a small desk, two chairs, and a corner shelf where you can set your coffee on. AMAZING.

I go here when I am feeling creative and artsy. 

5. Solar de Cahuenga (Hollywood)

This coffeeshop is literally right down the hill from me and therefore the one that I go to the most. It has terrific food and is open late at night, so I don't have to worry about walking down any sketchy streets to get home. I literally go so much that I think I know every barista by face and vice versa. They also have an inside and outside with a heater whenever it gets cold. The only bad thing about this place is that it is crowded ALL THE TIME. There is a mix between writers, students, artists, but all mostly locals. This is also a great place for celebrity sightings.

I go here when I'm lazy and don't want to walk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment